Sunday 28 February 2010

Day 59 - Mile 38




"Morning! Lovely day for a swim" was the first text message of the day. I, along with some other friends had decided to get a plunge in the water on the last day of February. Ric's message made me really excited, as their had been fears of severe weather warnings and even more snow!

I set off early - because I hate being late - and so I could take the drive at my own pace and take pictures as I went. I drove out towards Pately Bridge, and was greeted with the great sight of Windmills and Large Golf Balls (Menwith Hill RAF base), an extraordinarily weird sight, but it never fails to make me smile.

At 10am this morning the only other people out and about were farmers, walkers and cyclists! All out enjoying the best the dales have to offer - even if there is still snow on the ground.

Christine, Ric, Lisa, Matthew and I set off down to the river from the Craven Arms, past the campsite and along the river, to make sure my walking was a mile for today and to check that the river didn't look to unhospitable.

Setting up camp, Ric was the first to dive in. Well he is the Outdoor Swimming Society's new Press Officer, so it's his duty obviously! Shortly followed by myself (with new waterproof digital camera in hand) and Christine after we had all sqeezed into out wetsuits.

It was a brisk 20 mins or so that we spent in the river, we did have to properly swim to keep warm, but it was great!

Just as we were getting out Cassie and Andy arrived. Andy didn't have a wetsuit so just jumped in, took a few stokes and jumped straight back out again. Brave man, I don't think I would have gone in with out my wetsuit. I'm mad, not stupid!

After a quick walk back up to the pub, we all warmed by the fire and have some lunch.

It was great to see Lisa, Ric and Matthew, and to meet Christine, Cassie and Andy, hopefully we'll be doing some more swims in the year, and hopefully some that can count as miles.

I drove back through Bolton Abbey, and stopped to see friends for a cuppa on the way home. All nice and toastie now after a bath and clean dry clothes on! What a lovely sunday!
See photo's here Day 59.

No comments:

Post a Comment