Sunday 31 January 2010

Day 31 - Miles 22 - 28




What better way to spend a crisp sunny Sunday in Edinburgh than going on a walk with friends!

Edinburgh is my favourite city, and visiting my lovely friend Gareth and his boyfriend Laurence is such a joy. We headed out in search of some of my favourite views, and most importantly (to Laurence) brunch.

Walking out of their flat, the staircase always reminds me of Evita - "Another suitcase in another hall" comes into my head all the time here, so as we start off I am singing along in my head.

We set off through "The Meadows", towards Southside/Newington. Unfortunately the restaurant that Gareth and Laurence love is being refurbished, due to new owners, so we walked on in search of the perfect brunch. We luckily found a quiet bar, and ate so much we were almost at the stage where we could not walk due to being so full!

We headed down to the bottom of Arthur's seat, which dominates the city skyline here, along with the castle of course. Walking through the park below this and Salisbury Crags, there were lots of people out enjoying the sunshine, even though it is still quite cold. This is where I came to my demise and fell over! Much to the boys (and my) amusement!

We carried on crossing the Royal Mile and into a secret garden. It is a small, beautiful garden that not many people know about. One of the many "hidden jewels" Edinburgh city has to offer.
Crossing the railway, we headed up to Carlton Hill, one of my favourite places here. The replica of the Parthenon, the Observatory, and the views out over the city, to North Berwick and The Forth Bridge.

We headed down to Princes street, where we divided for a bit of shopping. I decided to continue to walk through Princes street gardens, with the castle domineering above me, before meeting the boys again for coffee and hot chocolate.

Home now, after a successful, and very enjoyable day walking. Hopefully I'll come back in August during the festival, and the pictures will tell a completely different story of this great city.
See Day 31 for photos.
Love Iona x

365milesin365days@googlemail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment