Sunday 21 March 2010

Day 80 - Miles 44 - 46




If you know me well then you'll know that I am not good without sleep. Which is why when I decided to do a RSPB Dawn Chorus walk at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, starting at 7am, people kept asking me was I sure, or was I crazy.

I set off from the house at 5.50am, coffee in hand, to collect Trina at 6am. The view from her house was lovely as the sun was rising towards the Church. We were up, ready and raring to go. Neither of us are "twitchers", but both like the YSP and the prospect of seeing it from a different point of view spurred us on.

It took no time at all to drive - due to no traffic at 6am on a Sunday morning, and we arrived at the car park without another soul or car to be seen. The only sign that the event was on, was a notice on the car park ticket machine to saw that parking was free to us up til 10 am! Hurrah!

A small group of about 30 people turned up. Paul the RSPB man brought lots of binoculars so everyone could have a good view and get involved. He led us into the woods in the various areas of the park - and into some areas that the General Public are not normally allowed. It was a privilege to see the park from some different area.

From robins, wrens, and rooks, through to nut hatchers, Canada geese and herons, we heard them all. It was hard to see some of them, but Paul's enthusiasm and ability to describe what we were hearing made up for it. I'm not about to become an avid bird watcher, but I love to watch birds fly, and listening to all the different chips, the sun on my back, and the rich morning light made today's walk brilliant! I took loads of pictures, see here...but I have decided that a new zoom lens may have to be on my wish list!

Tired, me? never? by the time we headed back up to the car park, Trina and I headed off from the group to have a look at the deer shelter - one of my friend Juli's favourite places at the YSP. It was so clear and bright by then.

An immensely relaxing morning, but I have to admit I did go home to bed for a couple of hours.

Spring is definitely pushing winter out of view, let hope for some more sunny days to come.

Love Iona x

365milesin365days@googlemail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment