Thursday 24 June 2010

Day 172 Part 2 - Miles 159-161


Arriving in Rotorua, after a couple of hours drive, Deb and I were fairly tired and we had a Maori Experience night booked for that night. After checking in Deb collapsed on the bed and announced that she needed to have a nap. We had been up exceedingly early, trying to make the most of our days, so I left her to it and went for a jog.

I jogged out of the hotel and along to the park to where there were lots of hot gyesers, steaming hot pools and exploding mud pools. It was really hard to run as the air is so full of sulphur smells that it was hard to breathe! I kept having to run through blasts of hot air from the pools which completely steamed up my glasses and made it hard to see.

I made my way back to the hotel via the lake shore and Ohinemutu, a lakeside Maori village. The lake was steaming as the sun was going down, not sure I'd be able to swim in it, but the birds seemed to be not bothered about it!

Pictures show the steam well and the beautiful surrounding of Rotorua!

Love Iona x
365milesin365days@googlemail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment